Not to be confused with our existing Athlete development membership. This little beauty is our next BIG CLINIC that addresses all the classics.
- Getting leaner
- Becoming stronger
- More powerful and functional
- Increased fitness
- Enhanced anerobic capacity
- Then to test and compete with your friends to get the best out of eachother
Whatever your specific goal is; we are improving all!
Athletes train in the weight room and on the field to enhance their talent and skill. Being the best lifter doesn’t necessarily make them a gold medallist, however, it increases their athletic potential which enhances skill acquisition. And while maintaining a certain aesthetic look isn’t an athlete’s top priority, it’s often a nice by-product of training with a purpose.
Townsville is about to experience its 2nd ever Athlete Development Program and Combine day. This type of training program would be familiar to sporting teams from semi-pros to professionals but never at a regular gym goer level. This program tests every aspect of strength and performance from fat %, power, strength, aerobic capacity, anaerobic capacity, metabolic capacity and agility.
You will participate in testing protocols most of you have never experienced, whilst creating three teams with three coaches on each team amongst all participating clients creating a serious competitive environment.
As the name suggests: ‘Athletic Development Program’ is exactly that; you participate in a program based on what athletes perform ‘in-season.’ Ultimately, you will work on getting faster, more powerful, leaner and more importantly, maintaining strength, through a combination of field-based training and individual training events.
While the ADP is catered to supplement and improve our performance over the year to date, it is developed with competitiveness in mind in order to provide a kick in the pants post our winter hibernation. Like any of our specific programs, there will be a break-up at the end of the program where the winners will be announced.
It’s time for the bluff and bluster to be tested and with the coaches having a vested interest, never have the competitive fires been stoked so vigorously.
WHY SHOULD I DO THIS?
As you would have noticed, it is springtime and like every spring here in Queensland, it’s basically Summer. This means less clothing is mandatory thus the state of our rigs are exposed. If you have been a little off over the winter months than this is the time to get cracking for some serious gains as it becomes a little easier to get up in the morning and a little easier to get limber before your sessions. The work done now puts us in good stead for the silly season which is just around the corner whilst giving us a decent starting point for holidays at the end of the year (trust us Woolies and Coles will have Christmas Decorations up in no time). We cannot think of a better time for a Clinic to get us to the end of the year in a better state then we started the year.
We will execute a formidable exercise regime built around competition and having fun. So, enter our Athletic Development Program to fill the motivational vacuum.
WHAT IS IT? WHAT DOES IT INVOLVE?
ADP will involve a team-based challenge format. Participants will be allocated to a coach’s team. Teams will be issued at the start of the day of the competition. A team will be chosen on a draft system mimicking the NBA/NFL and AFL competitions. Picks will be done in a lottery format and then teams will be formed once the order is established.
- Resistance programs that mimic in-season regimes of professional teams (with due regard to competency);
- Power work – plyometrics (or jumping), hurdle work, repeated jumping work, landing mechanics work; and
- Conditioning – from repeated sprint work to agility (remarkably metabolically demanding), up and down movements and lateral movements, all coupled with complex task drills and games.
These training methods enable us to get faster, stronger, more efficient and most importantly, leaner. To increase any of these attributes, we are required to reduce our body fat, as it stands to reason that the more, we carry, the harder it is to perform. The high metabolic cost of these methods, coupled with the variety of new movement patterns, provides for an incredibly efficient reduction of body fat over a short period; however, this will not be without some element of discomfort, so prepare to be sore.
COMPETITION / ATHLETIC COMBINE
The aim of this program is to train for a ‘combine’ (a feature of the NFL Draft), which essentially is several measurable challenges. These challenges will cover every aspect on the energy system spectrum as well as power and strength and body composition.
The program will culminate on Saturday 11th November, where from 7am till roughly 10am, the Final Challenge events will take place and the champions will be crowned (based on points scoring system weighted across the respective events). The combine (tests) will remain unknown until the night before the event. There will be team-based and individual based events.
The scoring system will consist of the following: 3 points for the win, 1 point for second and 0 points for the loss. Obviously, the team with most points at the end will be crowned the ADP Champions with the customary team photo on display for all to see all year round until next year’s Combine.
A POST-COMBINE CELEBRATION
As additional motivation, we will be celebrating with drinks at a hotel or bar (TBA) will follow with the champions being shouted by their vanquished foes.
FINES AND PENALTIES
As is the custom each year, there will be a fine and penalty system, with the results of such placed into a kitty that will contribute to the break-up at the hotel or bar (TBA). This doesn’t go into the Hammer coffers as some elaborate Ponzi scheme; in fact, Hammer will match the kitty to provide drinks during the breakup dinner.
Penalties and fines are to be imposed for the following:
- $1 fine, accumulated per minute of lateness, for anyone that attends late to a session (max $5);
- Non-attendance at a session without prior notice or adequate excuses – that’s a paddling. No wait, it’s a $10 penalty;
- The two losing teams will pay $20 each into the kitty in order for the winning team to eat and have drink for free at the Pub, post-competition.
THE IMPORTANT STUFF
THE PROGRAM RUNS FOR 5 WEEKS COMMENCING MONDAY 9th October 2023
- In order of equality, every participant will do the same program.
- Everyone will do 3 Group strength resistance sessions and then a minimum of 1 conditioning session with their nominated captain (Hammer Coach) per week.
- So, a mandatory 4 sessions a week plus extra prescribed sessions given by the coaches to get every participant in the best possible condition to achieve greatness on combine day.
THE COMBINE WILL BE HELD ON SATURDAY 11th NOVEMBER. YOU WILL RECEIVE:
- Three group strength sessions per week
- Inbody scans before and after the program showing how much body fat, we have lost during the training cycle
- Nutrition information to help guide us to achieving better %fat results.
- 1 Group session dependent on the coach/captain each week of the program which will address all the rigors of what we will come up against come competition day.
- Plus, a weekly plan to help you periodise your week so that you get the most out of your body without breaking down or being burnt out.
$75 per week (four sessions a week and membership)
ARE YOU IN?